Logo

Scouts NSW - Ryde Scout Group

History of Ryde Scout Group

History

Ryde Scout Group was officially registered on 17th April, 1915 and over the years comprised of 3 groups: 1st Ryde, 2nd Ryde, and 3rd Ryde. Those 3 groups eventually amalgamated to form one group: Ryde Scout Group. 

The Hall

Before Ryde Scout Group had their own scout hall in Princes Street Ryde, the cubs and scouts met in a myriad of venues including the now defunct Young Citizens Hall and Ryde School of Arts – which were demolished for Devlin Street road widening – to Ryde bridge, shops, private garages, Ryde Park grandstand and outdoors.

In 1940, Arthur John Booth who was a WW1 veteran, bought land at the corner of Victoria Road and Princes Street Ryde and donated it to Ryde Group Committee for the Ryde Scout hall.

A foundation stone was laid at a ceremony in 1941 but construction was not started until after the end of World War 2 in 1945 when building materials were very limited, so volunteers had to make their own cement block bricks on site every Saturday.

Later the original hall was demolished and replaced by the current building.

The Scarf

The scarf colours of Ryde Scout Group are grey, yellow, and navy, a combination of the original individual scarf colours of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd Ryde.

District and Region

The Group is part of the Moocooboolah Scouts District and the Sydney North Region.
The name Moocooboolah means "meeting of the two waters" and describes the scouting groups located geographically surrounding the Lane Cove River and Parramatta River.